Wednesday, October 12, 2016

31 Days of Horror 2016, Day 7: Creepshow 2 (1987)



“Thanks for the ride, lady! Thanks for the ride, lady!”
-The hitchhiker

Directed by: Michael Gornick

Starring: Lois Chiles, George Kennedy, Dorothy Lamour, Tom Savini

Trailer/Video: "Walk, run, or swim if you have to..."

The premise: A bullied kid named Billy recieves a new issue of his favorite comic book, “Creepshow”. This issue contains three stories: “Old Chief Wood'nhead”, “The Raft”, and “The Hitch-hiker”

My Familiarity With the Movie:
Heard of it around the same time I watched the original, which I loved.



Random thoughts as I watch it:
  • The Creep in the animated segments is a dead ringer for the Vault-Keeper, of EC Comics fame. Makes sense, since these movies are spot-on adaptations of those comics (albeit unofficial ones).
  • “Martha! How do you know that name?”
  • Sam may be a terrible person...but admittedly, his hair is nice.
  • CUTIE ALERT: Rachel
  • Is it just me, or does Randy look a lot like Michael Jones of Rooster Teeth?
  • Everyone was watching an episode of “The Cisco Kid” in the last segment, and here, Deke and Randy refer to each other as “Cisco” and “Poncho”, respectively. I wonder if there’s something to that?
  • Welp, there goes Rachel.
  • See ya, Deke.
  • Good of Randy to try to stay calm during all this.
  • And then he goes to feel up Laverne. Good going, dummy.
  • I notice that behind the bed, there’s a novel called “It” sitting there. Nice.
  • As someone who walks to work, and often gets a ride there from people, this one kinda taps into my own fears a bit.
  • That truck driver looks like the kinda guy who’d write something like “It”...or “The Shining”, or even “Creepshow”...
  • I first thought that this one might be similar to the Twilight Zone episode of the same title. I was mistaken.
  • He’s been killed by a hit-and-run, and she keeps trying to uh, “re-kill” him...but he remains polite and grateful.

The Good:
  • The segments are all goofy, spooky fun. “The Raft” is probably my favorite, but they’re all solid.
  • The animated segments are great as well. Especially the Creep himself, who directly interacts with the audience, making awful puns and hosting the feature, adding an element of the original comics that wasn’t in the first “Creepshow” movie (as far as I remember. It’s been a while I’ve seen it)
  • The special effects. The wooden Chief Wood'nhead coming to life is a really cool effect, as is the blob attacking people and tearing their flesh off (though the blob itself looks kinda lame), and the hitchhiker becoming more and more mangled as the segment goes on looks great, too.

The Bad:
  • I really miss the comic book-style effects from the first film. Especially the lighting.
  • Likewise, there’s only three segments. The first film had five. I understand both this and my previous point were due to budgetary reasons (and it’s why we got the animated parts, as a tradeoff), but alas. I wish there was more!
  • The animation itself is good, but the characters are bizarre-looking, in a way that I feel wasn’t intentional. It’s distracting, partially because it reminds me of the NPCs in the CD-i Zelda games.

Best Scare: The hitchhiker underneath the car.

What Did We Learn Today? According to Sam, all it takes to become a Hollywood star is long hair.

Recommended? It’s not as good as the first “Creepshow”, but still worth watching, especially if you liked the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment