Thursday, October 20, 2016

31 Days of Horror 2016, Day 13: It Follows (2014)


“It could look like someone you know or it could be a stranger in a crowd. Whatever helps it get close to you.”
-”Hugh”

Directed by: David Robert Mitchell

Starring: Maika Monroe, Keir Gilchrist, Daniel Zovatto, Jake Weary, Olivia Luccardi, Lili Sepe

Trailer/Video: Here

The premise: After having sex with her boyfriend, a young woman finds herself pursued by some supernatural being that intends on killing her.

My Familiarity With the Movie: Heard my brother talking about it after he watched it.

Random thoughts as I watch it:

  • I guess if this post had a sponsor, it’d be Dominos, since I’m currently eating a pizza I ordered from them this evening.
  • What a heartbreaking way to start the movie off.
  • What movie are they watching? It looks interesting.
  • Is she reading a book on a seashell?
  • CUTIE ALERT: Jay (EDIT: the other two girls are cuties as well)
  • The “Trade” game sounds like fun.
  • The boyfriend looks familiar.
  • “Charade”. That’s a good movie.
  • Jay looks a little like Alison Brie.
  • And now for some auto erotica (because they’re having sex in a car. Ha ha! I crack myself up)
  • Is that chloroform? That’s not romantic!
  • He says “Don’t worry”...to a woman who he drugged and tied up to a chair.
  • I’m assuming this thing is a metaphor for STDs?
  • “The Eternal Footman” would be a good name for a rock band.
  • If you’re not gonna eat that ice cream, can I have it?
  • Is it just me, or does everyone in movies eat their popcorn in glass bowls?
  • Wilhelm Scream!
  • What channel are they watching that seems to show nothing by old B&W sci-fi movies? Because I need to get it.
  • I’m probably alone in thinking this, but from a distance, Greg kinda looks like Egoraptor.
  • I like how, though they’re skeptical, they’re still trying to help Jay.
  • Are those comic pages on the window? And they look to be Silver/Bronze Age comics, too. What a waste.
  • Don’t get in the water! I watched “Jaws” last night.
  • SOMETHING pulled her hair. NOW do you believe her?
  • If it bleeds, it can be killed, right?
  • Everyone is so sleepy in this movie.
  • Gettin’ freaky in a hospital bed! Guess Greg has a medical kink.
  • Heh. She looks so disappointed afterwards.
  • I don’t even want to think of the Freudian implications of him being screwed to death by something that looks like his mother.
  • Any particular reason why we needed a scene of Jay taking off her pants and then walking into the water?
  • Is the movie not going to deal with the ramifications of Greg’s death? Nobody’s mourning him, nobody alerted the police?
  • Paul, you don’t want to help Jay get rid of It. You just wanna get laid.
  • So what, they’re gonna give It the “toaster in the baththub” treatment?
  • Nice shot!
  • I understand it’s probably the point, but the sex scenes in this movie are very bland.
  • C’mon, Paul. You just had sex with your crush, and you don’t feel ANY different?
  • Oh snap. It was taking on the form of her parents.

The Good:
  • The idea behind the movie is fascinating. It’s very much a high concept idea: some evil entity follows people around with the idea of killing them, and the curse is passed on through sex. That’s it.
  • Likewise, the idea behind the monster is good, too. Takes on a different form every time, and it could show up at any time behind you. Leads to some decent scares (particularly the final shot of the movie)

The Bad:
  • The setting is intentionally a vague mashup of various time periods, but while I think it’s going for a “timeless” feel, it came across more as confused and distracting (it’s possible to do this well. Look at Tim Burton’s “Batman” movies, or “Se7en”, which does it in a subtle way)
  • I didn’t get emotionally attached to the characters in any way. I didn’t dislike them (like I did on Day 4), but they didn’t particularly appeal to me, either. Except Yara. She was entirely pointless to the whole thing, but I liked her anyway.
  • It was kinda boring. Maybe I wasn’t in the right mindset, but I kept begging for SOMETHING to happen. And I’m someone who’s usually into more “cerebral” horror. Maybe all the symbolism went over my head
  • I’ve got nothing against leaving things vague, with an air of mystery to make something scarier (I liked it in Day 9’s movie). But it didn’t quite work in this case.

Best Scare: Probably It attacking Jay in the pool.

What Did We Learn Today? “I want to help you get rid of the creature stalking you” works as a pick-up line.

Recommended? I dunno. I’m not a big fan, but eh. Maybe some of you will get more out of it than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment