Wednesday, October 4, 2017

31 Days of Horror 2017, Day 2: Blood: The Last Vampire (2000)



“Don't ever piss her off again! As far as we know, she's the only remaining original!”
-David

Directed by: Hiroyuki Kitakubo

Starring: Yûki Kudô, Saemi Nakamura, Joe Romersa, Rebecca Forstadt, Stuart Robinson, Akira Koieyama, Tom Fahn, Fitz Houston, Steve Blum, Paul Carr

Trailer/Video: Here

The premise: A girl named Saya is sent undercover to a high school to hunt demons called chiropterans. That's pretty much it.

My Familiarity With the Movie: I'm vaguely aware of the spinoff series, but the movie was recommended to me by a friend.



Random thoughts as I watch it:
  • I know people think of Production I.G. as the people who did high-quality anime like Ghost in the Shell, and their work is phenomenal...but I always think of them as the folks that did the graphics in the last Wario Land game.
  • Very stylish!
  • I was very confused about if I was watching the subbed or dubbed version...until I realized it was both.
  • The posters for the Halloween dance really get me in the spirit.
  • Linda's hair reminds me of Alucard from Castlevania. Bet she's a vampire.
  • The demons look a little like Beta Ray Bill, but more freaky and less endearing.
  • I know they feast on blood, but they're referred to as "demons". Makes me wonder why the title refers to "the last vampire".
  • Ha! The sword is an expensive fake.
  • The nurse's face when Saya punches out the guard is funnier than it should be.
  • That chiropteran being cut down in mid-air was pretty badass.
  • Why does Saya feed the dying chiropteran some of her blood? Just to rub it in that it's dying?
  • ...oh, THAT'S the "last vampire"!

The Good:
  • Stylish, and well-animated.
  • The aspect of it being a dual-language movie is neat.
  • Great action scenes and what bits we get of the backstory is fun.
  • The mid-60s setting is also an interesting choice, but one I dig.
  • Some genuinely creepy moments.
  • It's a long line of cliches, but it's done so in a way that's obviously homage.

The Bad:
  • Light on plot or characterization. But it's not a big deal, since I feel like it's not the point. It's all about the action.
  • The English-language portions have terrible delivery. Grammar's correct and everything, but the acting itself is pretty bad.

Best Scare: Sharon revealing herself as a chiropteran

What Did We Learn Today? Crosses, holy water...screw that. Nothing beats a katana for vampire-killing.

Recommended? Yes. Don't expect anything deep, but it's a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment